There’s no party like a workplace holiday party, because workplace holiday parties…get awkward. CareerBuilder’s annual holiday survey asked workers to share the most unusual gifts they’ve received from a co-worker during the holiday season.
While many gift-bearing workers stick to more traditional holiday offerings, such as ornaments, candy and gift baskets, others get a little more creative with their definition of the word “gift:”
• A box of Hot Pockets®.
• A chess piece (just one piece, not a set).
• A fire extinguisher.
• A voucher for a free lawn game of the co-worker’s own invention.
• A turquoise leather vest.
• Zombie action figures.
• A Ziploc® bag with coffee (enough to make one pot).
• A ‘gun of the day’ calendar.
• A bag of chips.
• A Christmas ornament with the co-worker’s and spouse’s photos on it.
The national survey, conducted online by Harris Poll from ¬¬August 11 to September 5, 2014, included a representative sample of 3,103 workers and 2,203 hiring managers and human resource professionals across industries and company sizes.