The American Association of Suicidology’s Consensus Warning Signs:
Are you or someone you love at risk of suicide? Get the facts and take action. Call 911 or seek immediate help from a mental health provider when you hear, say or see any one of these behaviors:
* Someone threatening to hurt or kill themselves.
* Someone looking for ways to kill themselves: seeking access to pills, weapons or other means.
* Someone talking or writing about death, dying or suicide.
Seek help by contacting a health health professional or by calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for a referral should you witness, hear or see anyone exhibiting any one or more of these behaviors:
* Rage, anger, seeking revenge
* Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities, seemingly without thinking
* Feeling trapped – like there’s no way out
* Increasing alcohol or drug use
* Withdrawing from friends, family or society
* Anxiety, agitation, unable to sleep, or sleeping all the time
* No reason for living; no sense of purpose in life.
Carson J Spencer Foundation – http://www.carsonjspencer.org
American Association of Suicidology — http://www.suicidology.org
Working Minds — http://www.workingminds.org